Here’s a recipe for making delicious sourdough French bread:
- 1 cup active sourdough starter
- 3 ½ cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the active sourdough starter and warm water. Mix until well combined.
- Add the bread flour and salt to the bowl. Stir the ingredients together until a shaggy dough forms.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough back into the mixing bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise for 4-6 hours, or until it has doubled in size. You can also let it rise overnight in the refrigerator.
- Once the dough has risen, preheat your oven to 450°F (230°C) and place a baking stone or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper inside to preheat as well.
- Carefully transfer the risen dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently shape the dough into a long baguette shape.
- Sprinkle a little flour on top of the shaped dough and score it with a sharp knife to create the signature cuts on the surface.
- Carefully transfer the shaped and scored dough onto the preheated baking stone or baking sheet.
- Bake the bread for about 25-30 minutes, or until it turns golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Once the bread is baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack before slicing and enjoying!
And there you have it! A homemade sourdough French bread recipe to delight your taste buds. Remember, the key to a successful sourdough bread is time and patience. Enjoy baking!