Here are the top trends for fall that you shouldn’t ignore to stay on-trend this fall.
1. Puffed sleeves. Sleeves and shoulders are getting bigger, but do not worry, these are not the sharp, crisp lines of the 1980s. These are more flowy, romantic shapes. Puffy sleeves in sheer fabric manage to be both chic and sexy.
2. Statement collars. The disco collars are back, baby, as are removable collars in a variety of fabrics and styles. The hottest? Shearling and faux fur.
3. Gloves. All lengths, all styles all materials and all colors. Gloves are white-hot. Colored leather and slouches are particularly popular.
4. Fringe. Fringe is everywhere. It is on dresses, jackets and all kinds of accessories. Entire skirts were made of fringe on the Dior runway and Chanel laced fringe on a pencil skirt.
5. Pleats. Also, everywhere. Dancing across tulle and other soft, flowy fabrics in skirts and tops alike.
6. Bermuda shorts. Yes, in fall. Yes, with tall boots. Possibly in plaid. Maybe in khaki.
7. Bra tops. Put it under a blazer if you feel like you are showing too much skin. For a night out, make it in leather.
8. Trouser pants. Boxy and full of boss-lady energy. Look for traditional menswear materials or a bright pop of neon color.
9. Crochet. This is not your grandma’s. Crochet is showing up on feminine dresses and suiting. And yup, it is on those bra tops, too.
10. Ruffles and tiers. From top to bottom and in bold style. Think big when it comes to both of these things.
11. Cutouts. These are back from the 2000s, too, but they are not quite so … tacky. These contemporary cutouts can be appropriate for the office when worn at the elbow or shoulder.
12. Animal prints. Did they ever really go away? But it is not just leopard print. Look for zebra stripes, snakeskin and more in fantastic shades.
13. White all year round. All. Year. No arguments.
14. Leather, too. In bright colors and in more than just jackets and boots. Look for gloves, skirts and more.